When do I need to arrive in Nepal for the program?

Two days prior to the program orientation date.

What visa do I need to get and where can I get it?

You need to apply for a tourist visa. You can easily get a visa on your arrival at the Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. You can also apply for it to the Nepalese Embassy in your home country.

Does Insight Nepal receive me at the international airport and provide a transportation to the hotel in Kathmandu?

Yes. We will receive you at the airport and arrange a transportation to the hotel in Kathmandu.

Who will arrange my bus transportation to Pokhara and will there be somebody to greet me at the bus stop ?

Insight Nepal will arrange your bus transportation to Pokhara, and will receive you at the bus stop.

Where can I change my money to Nepali currency? Are there ATM machines in Pokhara ?

You can change your money at the airport or any bank by showing your passport. Moreover, there are several ATM machines in Kathmandu and Pokhara.

How do I pay the program fee? When do I need to pay?

You can pay the program fee through "Western Union/ Money Transfer" service or through wire transfer in our bank accounts. You have to pay the first installment of the program fee six weeks in advance of the program starting date.

What expense does the program fee cover?

The program fee covers expenses incurred for food and accommodation, orientation training, trekking, 3 - day meditation course and office administration. Insight Nepal, at times, also provides support to its placement organizations by donating useful supplies.

What do I need to bring with me to Nepal ?

Insight Nepal will send you information about what items you need to bring and what immunizations/vaccinations you need to take before coming to Nepal, when we confirm your acceptance.

Where will I be staying during the program?

You will be staying with a Nepali host family. Your host family can be changed after the orientation phase of the program.

How many meals a day do I get from my host family?

Your host family will provide you two big meals and tea with snacks every day.

Does my host family speak some English?

A few members of the family can communicate in English.

Can I have my own room or do I need to share with other volunteers ?

Yes, you may have your own room. However, if you are working at the same placement with another volunteer, you may need to share a room with that volunteer.

Can I have some free time for my personal traveling during the program period ?

During the weekend and holidays you will have free time. However, you must inform your placement and host family of your plans to do some personal traveling.

When shall I know about my placement?

At least one month before the program starting date.

What does the normal working hours look like? How many days will I be working in a week?

The normal working hours is 10 am to 4 pm at schools and 10 am to 5 pm at other organizations. You will be working five and a half days per week. Saturday is the weekend in Nepal.

Are phone, electricity and internet services available in my placement site?

There are telephone, electricity and internet services around the Pokhara valley. But internet service may not be available in a few rural areas.

How much money should I bring with me?

US$500 would be sufficient for you to make Visa extensions, for food and beverage during the trek, and for basic personal expenses. However, it depends on how much more you would like to spend on shopping and other recreations.

How can my family members contact me in Nepal?

Your family members can contact you directly via phone or email. You can easily get a local sim card here. In case your family can't get in touch with you directly, your family can contact you through Insight Nepal.